HANDLER CLASSES AND EVALUATIONS
Dogs On Call, Inc. is a Wisconsin-based therapy animal group that follows the standards and evaluation protocols of Pet Partners, an international organization that supports service and therapy animals.
For more information on how to know whether your pet might make a good therapy animal, and the steps required to become a registered Pet Partners Therapy Animal Team and a Dogs On Call, Inc. member, please see our Join Us page.
DOGS ON CALL, INC. PET PARTNERS HANDLER COURSE
Dogs On Call, Inc. teaches the Pet Partners Handler Course several times a year. Taught by licensed Pet Partners Instructors, this course is designed to provide you with the knowledge, tools, and assistance necessary to support you in preparing to become a Pet Partners Team. Some of the topics we cover are:
- Information on the scope of being a registered Pet PartnersTherapy Animal Team, including volunteer responsibilities, being your animal’s advocate, facilities and settings in which to visit, regulations and policies, and visiting techniques;
- Tools, techniques, facilitated discussions, exercises, and simulations;
- Understanding how to visit with your animal, step-by-step, by successfully implementing best practices for visiting in a variety of facilities and settings;
- Detailed demonstration of the steps involved and requirements for the Pet Partners Team Evaluation as well as a mock evaluation;
- Information on Dogs On Call, Inc., including our policies and procedures, facilities we visit, events we participate in, and benefits of joining Dogs On Call, Inc.
The course is for handlers only. The only animals present will be our registered Pet Partners animals used in demonstrations.
Why Take a Class?
We strongly recommend that anyone considering becoming a Pet Partners Team attend a class. Structured as a workshop, our class gives participants valuable hands-on experience and integrates real-life examples. We even show you a mock evaluation so that you know exactly what to expect in your Pet Partners Team Evaluation. We have found that handlers who attend a class are typically more likely to pass their evaluation than those who take the Online (Home Study) Pet Partners® Handler Course.
Upcoming Class Dates
Saturday June 20, 2015 – 8:30 – 5:00
Saturday October 10, 2015 – 8:30 – 5:00
Meriter Hospital’s McConnell Hall, Madison, WI
Class Fee Schedule
- $125 for One Person; the fee includes a Pet Partners Handler Student Guide and your Pet Partners Team Evaluation
- $150 for Two People in same household; the fee includes one Pet Partners Handler Student Guide (to be shared) and the Pet Partners Team Evaluation for two people
For more information or to register for a class, please contact Artie Berning.
DOGS ON CALL, INC. R.E.A.D. WORKSHOP
Dogs On Call, Inc. holds R.E.A.D. workshops several times a year. Taught by licensed R.E.A.D. Instructors, the workshop is designed to provide you with the knowledge, tools, and assistance necessary to support you in adding the R.E.A.D. registration to your Pet Partners Registration. Some of the topics covered in the workshop are:
- Information on Intermountain Therapy Animals (ITA) and Reading Education Assistance Dogs (R.E.A.D.), including the history of the R.E.A.D. program, and research to support how reading to a trained animal can improve not only reading scores, but also other areas of a child’s life;
- Understanding the different venues where the R.E.A.D. program can be held (libraries, schools, afterschool programs, etc.);
- Demonstrations of how to visit and proper positioning with your therapy animal;
- Information on being your dogs’ best advocate;
- Techniques to help a struggling child, including when and how to offer assistance while the child is reading, and when to have a child pick a new book.
The course is for handlers only. The only animals present will be our dual-registered R.E.A.D./Pet Partners animals used in demonstrations.
Why Take a Class?
Dogs On Call, Inc. requires all members to take this workshop before becoming a R.E.A.D. team. Our workshop participants gain knowledge from participating in problem-solving throughout the day and from demonstrations from current R.E.A.D. teams.
Upcoming Class Dates
Sunday September 27, 2015 – 9:00 – 3:00
Meriter Hospital’s McConnell Hall, Madison, WI.
Class Fee Schedule
Dogs On Call, Inc. is currently the recipient of a grant from the Wisconsin Veterinary Medical Association. Because of this grant we are able to offer this workshop at a reduced rate.
- $20 for a Workshop with a Manual.
- $5 for a Workshop without a Manual (for people who already have a current manual, or for librarians or educators who do not wish to have a manual).
In order to become R.E.A.D. registered, upon completion of the workshop each participant must complete and pass a written test (contained in each Manual), and send it in to ITA with a onetime registration fee.
For more information or to register for a class, please contact Laura Kuchta.
DOGS ON CALL, INC. PET PARTNERS TEAM EVALUATION
Dogs On Call, Inc. has several licensed Pet Partners Team Evaluators and holds Pet Partners Team Evaluations several times a year. Teams who pass the evaluation will be provided with the evaluation score form necessary to register with Pet Partners as a registered Pet Partners Therapy Animal Team.
The test lasts about 40 minutes, and consists of a Skills Test, which demonstrates whether the animal can be controlled by the handler and follow basic commands, and an Aptitude Test, which simulates conditions often encountered during a visit.
For a detailed description of the test, please see the Pet Partners® Team Evaluation page.
Upcoming Evaluation Dates
Sunday February 22, 2015
Sunday March 29, 2015
Sunday April 12, 2015
Sunday May 3, 2015
Sunday June 7, 2015
Sunday June 28, 2015
Sunday July 12, 2015
Sunday August 16, 2015
Sunday September 20, 2015
Sunday October 25, 2015
Sunday November 8, 2015
Sunday November 22, 2015
Madison, WI (details provided upon registration)
Evaluation Fee Schedule
- Complimentary for anyone taking the in-person Dogs On Call, Inc. Pet Partners Therapy Animal Handler Course and for current Dogs On Call, Inc. members doing their renewal evaluations
- $30 for anyone who did not take the in-person Dogs On Call, Inc. Pet Partners Therapy Animal Handler Course
For more information or to register for an evaluation, please contact Artie Berning.