Handlers Workshops Are Back!
Dogs On Call is a Wisconsin-based 501c3 therapy animal organization. Read more on our “About Us” page
The Pet Partners training course, which is the first step to become a Pet Partner, is for the human side of the therapy team. A therapy team consist of the human and their pet. The course is a one-day interactive workshop taught by Pet Partners licensed instructors.
Handlers will learn the necessary skills for successful visiting, what to watch for in your animal while visiting, and what’s involved in the team evaluation.
There will be experienced handlers present to answer questions and registered therapy dogs to observe in various visiting situations.
First, there’s a mentoring program to make sure you are comfortable doing visits with your therapy animal.
We stay connected with a quarterly newsletter, members-only page on the DOC website, knowledgeable program coordinators to help you, and frequent emails about upcoming visits and events.
You can connect with other therapy animal teams by participating in fun group visits, events, and the annual picnic.
How does this program work? Children read individually to a therapy animal team. All Read With Me teams have been tested for health, safety, appropriate skills, and temperament. In addition, all teams will have participated in Dogs On Call Read With Me mentoring program.
What we look for in Therapy Teams
- Is sociable, friendly, and comfortable around adults and children.
- Has good basic obedience skills and can remain calm in stressful situations.
- Seeks out interactions; loves being petted, doesn’t just tolerate it.
- Has an easygoing, friendly temperament, displays well-mannered interactions towards people and other animals.
- Must be able to work together as a team with the handler.
- Should be reliable, predictable, and controllable.
- Is professional, friendly, and polite with their interactions with people.
- Has a strong bond with their animal and can redirect behavior when necessary.
- Is willing to ensure their animals’ well-being at all times.